Dr Peter Cochrane discusses the long-term costs of the UK’s copper cable phone network.
From the program running order for 19/08/2015:
On Monday’s programme we spoke to the Chief Executive of BT Openreach about broadband speed across the UK. BT Openreach has been criticised for the amount of time it is taking to provide the service to some urban areas, while some rural communities complain they are getting much lower speeds and sometimes no coverage at all. Dr Peter Cochrane is former Chief Technology Officer at BT.
“In my village, we could not get optical fibre, we could not get bandwidth, and so I have put a wireless system into my own village, with a local company, using the church tower as a central node. So we have a mediaeval church tower that is doling out broadband to the houses in the village.”
“Could wireless be the answer then, for all of us?”
“It’s a partial answer. My point is, that the telephone company, or the network company, laying the optical fibre absolutely to every home is not necessarily the case. … For instance, my village is surrounded by optical fibre. I went to BT, I went to the railway company, and no one would allow me to have access… It’s only 200 metres… we had to do it another way.”
The local company that Peter used was County Broadband. If you would like to explore whether we can help bring a wireless broadband solution to your village, like Peter Cochrane did, please click here.
We have spent a huge amount of time developing a much more modern and better integrated website which gives you a much better experience. So whether you are a business or home user you can now:
- Check to see if you are within our network see postcode checker
- Order our full service online (starting with a check to see if we can connect to you)
- Resolve queries quickly via our knowledgebase articles, or you can send a query ticket to us
- Start up a project in your village if you are in an area where our network does not yet cover
- Learn of any upcoming network upgrades
- Track progress on your village project
- Learn of new projects that we are developing
- Manage your account, upgrade your account, buy extra equipment to continually improve your broadband experience
- Learn about why we can deliver a network to you, in areas where no one else can
We would love to receive any feedback you may have on our new website so please feedback via the contact page